New here? You can use the side bar to find my previous posts as the newest post is shown first

Wednesday 29 May 2013

Songkran, The Floating Market and The Night Train

It was pretty refreshing to be honest being covered head to toe in icey water, either from the water guns, cups or buckets. Being forty Celsius and around eighty percent humidity, as you can imagine it was pretty uncomfortable! Songkran for anybody who doesn't know is basically Thai New Year or The Water Festival some call it, mainly because as you read above drenching everybody with water is part of the cleansing ritual! To quite literally wash away the bad things of the previous year. The only problem was that if you wanted to take a look around anywhere, particularly in Bangkok where there are thousands of people, it's pretty difficult to stay dry! Also pretty hard to eat from the street kitchens when you keep having to run around the damn cart, spilling all that awesome food everywhere.

After running from the locals covered in a plethora of Thai curries we jumped onto a bus, lead by the lovely Sylvia (a Swiss singer) and Zeineb (whos name I struggled with so much I ended up just calling her Zee) who were staying in the same hostel as me. Our adventure today, was to the "Floating Market", a short trip by bus and by far one of the most unusual sights to behold.

We exited the boiling pan of a bus and straight into what was stalls set right up into the carpark. I found myself stuck with thoughts of how this market was definatley not floating in any way. Unless you counted the smell, it definatley has a hovering notion about the nose, which was caused by the odd fruit you are not aloud in certain places, because of the smell. I believe it's called a Durian, we were offered to try some but as the smell really got up in my head I refused, however Sylvia did say it's taste was rather pleasent! I followed Sylvia around the next corner to find quite a sight, the reason this was called The Floating Market was because the next section was floating, made from a ramshackle of miscellaneous boats and stalls around a central pool. I watched as a young boy threw what looked like a handful of Wotsits (curly cheese flavoured crisp) into the calm water. What is that?! The pool suddenly came to life. The water bubbled and rose, filled with life as hundreds of catfish begin writhing over each other fighting for the food. Some, even left above water for minutes unable to return to submersion due to the unexplainable amount of fish. And then, stillness. Only gentle ripples left on the pond as remnants of the sudden life. Then, mere seconds later, another passer by repeated the spectacle with the addition of another handful of cheesy snacks. You could also buy baby turtles to release into the river as a good luck charm for the year!

My attention was now drawn away, by the rising of a machete out of the corner of my eye. Which was brought down quickly, into the top of a Coconut. And, with terrifying accuracy of several intense hacks removed the "lid" of the poor Coconut, a straw was placed into the now Coconut bowl and it was passed to me. The milk of the Coconut was intensely smooth and sweet. Probably the freshest thing I've ever had the pleasure to drink. And with that, I was hit with a sudden sense of dare I say it, paradise. Sat by the water, the sun shining, boats passing and drinking from Coconut. Instantly surreal.

Then once again the water guns came out, the cold water onslaught eventually drove us back to the streets and we began to walk back. The houses down the streets were filled with life and a local shop with an open front had a barrel of water and ice, surrounded by children who were playing in the street with buckets and water guns. We were chased around by the children and then pulled into the shop by the adults and forced to drink pints of beer for free. I mean literally forced. Not the worst thing in the world! Sylvia, Zee and I all danced into the music and water sprayed all around us, enjoying the beer and kindess of the locals, but as it always does time had come around to head back. And, upon the family finding out we needed to leave, they sent their children into the road to stop a bus, to which they entered the bus armed with waterguns. It was a massacre, no one was left dry.

For the next few days Songkran continued and so we spent a good amount of time drenched, during one trip back to change my clothes I met Brian, sat drinking coffee in my hostel waiting to check out. We chatted for a while about travelling and how our trips were going, he was an American teaching English in Korea and this was his holiday period. He told me about an island, sounds like the movie The Beach right? Well unfortunatley there was no map, but I did have an island name and a hostel. Feeling particularly spontaneous I turned to him and said "I'll meet you there next week".
With that he left for his flight and I left for the train station. I regret that I missed Sylvia and Zee before I left, I really hope that we will meet up again in some other random hostel somewhere!

Tonight I was taking the night train. Chiang Mai. This line is way too long. I stood waiting and eventually purchased my overnight ticket, and I was going economy. This meant my seat and bed were not a secluded room but just a regular train seat. But for only £14 to travel from one end of the country to the other, pretty good if you ask me! After sitting and reading for a while I was joined by a Thai girl, whos name regrettably escapes me, who sat quietly across from me. We began chatting as the train pulled away and settled for a long journey.

As night fell one of the train stewards came to my seat and asked me to stand for a moment, he folded away the table and slid down the seats to form a double bed, it now occured to me that I may be sharing my bed with this random girl. Until he also folded down a second bed from the ceiling! Probably best to be honest I hardly knew her. I was shocked firstly that I fit in the bed, and secondly because my bed was level with the window, so as I lay with my aisle curtain drawn, I was met with the view of a sunset. Casting purple and orange clouds across the sky above the sea of trees and jungle below as the great red disc settled on the horizon. The steady rocking of the train was kind of relaxing and I thought this would be a good nights rest, which it was, but when I woke I found myself still in the jungle. The train had broken down.
My Tuktuk ride
A picture of children during Songkran, consider it had NOT been raining.


My room on the train.

No comments:

Post a Comment